You knew Halloween could not pass by without using THIS group of kids in a Halloween project, right?
It is no secret that I LOVE using Found Relatives! I find them easy to work with (nice heavy paper) and even easier to make up a story about.
Today is no exception.
I hope you will follow along as I show you how to combine something new (Tim Holtz product) with something old (ephemera) to create a project for Halloween.
I started with the Found Relative card of course, since that gives me a direction (or story) for the entire project. I cut out the kids using small fussy cut scissors. No matter how careful you are, there are always places that will show the cut edge. I have found that Pumice Stone Distress Ink will NOT “color” the photo, but it will hide the white edge (works really great around the faces). I can always go back in with a brown Distress Ink later if I want to age the photo.
I wanted to create a little “house” for the Found Relatives. I thought about what I could use: Altoids Tin (too small), make a box from scratch (doable, but not enough time today), a very small gift box (didn’t have one). So I sat for a minute and thought. Then I glanced into a small bin of new Christmas stuff and there was the answer. The Found Relatives box itself.
I taped the box together, then cut off the "hanger" leaving the rectangle box.
I pierced the center of the box and cut out the entire top.
Once it was dry, I added a little Vintage Photo over the top of the tag to age it just a bit.
If you need a refresher on Monoprinting- see this post.
Trim the top and bottom to fit into the box, just make sure the spiderweb is in the left corner.
I wanted to add something dimensional to the bottom to "ground" the children so they don’t look like they are floating in the house (although, that might had been another interesting Halloween idea...floating children!)
I added some Multi Medium to the lower half of the box.
Then using a very small piece of paper towel or even lightweight fabric (my friend mr. cheesecloth works beautifully) you can work the ink around. What I never use is my fingertip...way to easy to leave a fingerprint right in the middle of your ink work and surprisingly hard to control because it does not soak up the ink, it just moves it around. In the end, the color should be very subtle. Let it dry and then go over it again later to add another layer of color.
Next, I die cut a piece of Grungeboard using the Pediments die. I couldn’t decide which of the 3 Pediment shapes to use, so I cut a couple then painted them with Black Soot Distress Ink.
I liked the Halloween paper as it was, but I didn't want the brighter colors to compete with the letters I plan to use. Adding the paint will allow me to tone it down just a bit.
I decided to use some vintage paper to cut out a couple paper hats for the children. When I was cutting, I realized the paper had tiny little names on it.
I glued the Halloween words from the Mini Stash to a piece of chipboard using a Collage Glue Stick.
please click on photo to see the entire project
Hope you enjoyed today's project and that you will try mixing old with new, to create something fun.
now carry on,
products used in this project