Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Big Top

I am leaving for the airport in just a few hours to fly to New Zealand for the Autumn Escape Event, but I really wanted to do a blog post before I left.  I will need to limit my words, which is something I'm not used to around here, but I hope you will stick with me till the end to see the final result.

I purchase a little pressed wood panel from Michaels - found it in the wood cut outs department for about $2.50 I think.
 I painted a base coat with Gesso
 Then a coat of Peacock Feathers.
 Next a haphazard coat of Mowed Lawn.
 And lastly, another haphazard coat of Shaded Lilac.
I went back over the paint in a few places in a horizontal motion.
 the end result of the Distress Paint layers.
I picked up this great set of number stamps at JoAnns - the numbers are about 2 1/4" tall.  Cute and just the perfect size for this project.
I made a puddle of paint on the craft sheet to pounce the stamp in.  Not too much, shouldn't be soupy on the stamp and no, I didn't use a block.
 I just stamped the board in random places and let it dry.
Once dry, I sanded away a bit of the paint to reveal the background.
I grabbed the new Stamper Anonymous stamp set - Big Top and some Ranger watercolor paper for the next step.
 I cut the watercolor paper to fit the stamp I wanted to use.
Then used Distress mini's to create a color pallet on the craft sheet.  Added water to the mix, then swiped the watercolor paper through it numerous times to get a wonderful layered look.

I stamped the card with jet black Archival ink.
Back to the board.
I added some paper ephemera with Multi-Medium.
 Then a little ink around the edge.
 I decided I need to mask something off so I used the Arch Frame to create the mask shape.
 I taped it down with tissue tape.
Then used the Harlequin layering stencil to create a pattern over the mask.
 Can you tell where i'm going?
The elephant needed a circus tent, right?
I used a Stabilo pencil for the lines and filled in the flag with a bit of paint.
 Add the elephant with Multi-Medium over the tent.
 Then add in some details...stamps
Tissue tape...
 Large Mirrored star colored with Alcohol ink - Mushroom....
and a few Remnant Rubs.
 If I would have had the time I would have added a few more details but I'm still happy with the way it turned out.

As I said at the beginning, I am leaving for New Zealand and then on to Australia.  I hope to be posting on Instagram (luckyday) and my Facebook page so stop by for a bit of the journey.

Next week I have three artists (from Australia, Canada and the UK), that will be sharing their artwork with you.  I know you will like it and I am SO very grateful they were willing to share here on One Luck Day.  Thank you in advance girls! (you so want to know who it is, right?)

now carry on,

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Junk Bonanza

I am a few days late in posting this due to the release of the new Mini Distress Inks on Monday, but I know everyone likes to see photos when I go to a show.  So here they are!
Last Wednesday I left California for a quick to trip to Minnesota to attend Junk Bonanza, one of my favorite antique shows.  I met up with my traveling partners in Phoenix for the 3 hour flight (which really seemed kind of short when watching a movie on the ipad).  We were excited to attend since we have all been before and know what kind of goods this show offers.  I love the great mid-west prices!  Wish I would have had a truck to haul a few pieces of furniture back!
We were up early for a quick breakfast at Starbucks and then it was off to wait in line for the show to open at 8am (glad it wasn't snowing!).
As you can see, we were pretty close to the front of the line...and if you read my blog, you know I LIKE to be at the front of the line!
 Hey! there is one of my partners in crime.
I'm going to admit, I took most of these pictures on day two, since on day one you are just moving too fast to stop. 
Funny, I look at some of these shots and think, why didn't I buy that?
 This was one of my favorite booths because of the giant letters covered in paper.

 Another favorite...

 Succulents in vintage take out containers

vintage fabric

 oh my, all the old books...sigh
Is this not cute?
Here is my "if I only had a truck" piece.  Oh so lovely and a great price.  Would have been wonderful storage for my workroom.  By day two it had been carted away. 
 this was amazing old porch woodwork - or at least that is what I think it was.

loved the colors in this booth...

Hummm...not sure these are vintage?? what ya think? lol
This is the perfect sign for Mario!
Doll bodies?

Isn't this a cute spinning cabinet?  Each drawer was made in the shape of a triangle so it fit into the round cabinet.  I loved the hand painted numbers!
My favorite purchase of the weekend.  A hand painted, double sided sign.  Totally in love with it on day one but didn't buy it.  When it was still there on day two, I knew it was going home with me.
A few shots from the Rose Mille booth.  Eye candy!
loved these pieces of wool!  However I wanted all of them, not just one stack.

The wonderful Lisa Souers was at the show.  I first met her and bought a few pieces of jewelry at the Farm Chicks show in Spokane a few years ago.  So very kind and I love that she is always creating at her booth while people are shopping away. 
This is one of the pieces I bought from Lisa.  Just loved the collage on the inside of the pocket watch.
What a great time I had with these guys...fried cheese curds, best burger in the USA, Marshals shopping and magicians. We did it all!
I saw this stitched on an apron at the show.  Thought it was an appropriate way to end this post...a true statement indeed.

If you have not read Tim's post on Junk Bonanza, here is the link.  He has more pictures of what we were searching for and what we actually bought.
Now carry on,