I wanted to create a valentine for someone special but I didn’t have much time today so it needed to be something quick and easy...and as always, made from what I already have on hand. This is where a good stash comes in handy! I think I always say that, don't I?
I chose a 7gypsies Ruban book cover for the base (you only need the front cover). This one is embossed so it adds a bit of dimension. I cut the book cover so that it is about 5” wide but you can leave as is, if you like. I used the Binderie Punch to quickly make two holes at the top of the book cover. Set aside for now.
Tim gave Deb and I a set of the new Distress Stains which are fluid, water-based dyes for paper and other porous surfaces, FABULOUS STUFF I might say. In fact, we love them so much will be using them in at least one of the classes we will be teaching this year.
Dry with a heat gun to save time. Love this one from Ranger.
This is what it looks like when it's dry
Once dry, cut the edges with some kind of decorative scissor.
Gathered crepe paper (can’t tell it ever bubbled up, can you?). Tie a knot at one end to stop the paper from unraveling. Set aside for a moment.
Now back to the book cover. Add a strip of ThermOweb Super Tape across the front.
Add gathered crepe paper starting with the edge you tied the knot. When you get to the other end, cut 1/4 longer than the cover and tuck end under.
Use an X-Acto knife to cut a notch in the book cover (I cut all the way through). It does not have to be perfect (mine's not) because it will be covered up in the next step.
Then wedged the rings on the lens into the hole I just cut. No glue needed!
I just want to say here that I can find more ways to use optical lenses in projects than I ever thought possible. Now, I just can't get enough of them!
I added some grey seam binding (because I can't make something without it) and a brass charm that I found in my junk drawer. The letter M is from an old 7gypsies rubbing and is the initial of the person I am making this for.
Add some Scotch Quick-Dry Adhesive along the crepe paper for a piece of vintage crocheted lace.
Now to add some ribbon for hanging...cut about 18" of seam binding. I used the grey again but you could change it up and use another color. Thread the ribbon through one hole so that it is even. Then thread both ribbons through the second hole and tie a knot. Trim ends. Easy!
Almost done...but I think she needs just a little something more. Maybe a bit of vintage flowers and my "go to"clear stamp, Avignon. If you don't own this one, you should. So, one large stamp at the bottom and one small stamp at the top above the optical lens.
I love it.
|I admit took me longer to write this blog post than to make the project!|