Today, it's all about bags.
This one is purse size. I sewed pieces of the new fabric together like I was making a quilt top. Once the pieces were together I folded the top and bottom under and sewed it to a heavy canvas base. Do you remember when I made the sewing machine cover? I made the purse exactly the same way...it's just right side up and smaller in size. Next, I added the vintage buttons and the lace and trim I purchased at the flea market in France.
The difference between the purse and the sewing machine cover is that I created a lining piece (exact same way as the bag) and slipped it inside the purse. Of course the raw edges from the purse and lining needed to be covered so I made my own bias tape to encase them at the top. Again, just like the sewing machine cover where I used a store-bought red bias tape to finish the bottom edge.
I worked on the pocket as a separate piece, doing all the stitching around the wool flowers that I cut out using the Tattered Floral die. The steel rule die cuts the flower perfectly, even from wool!
I finished stitching the flowers, then added the beads before I sewed the pocket to the bag front.
Hope you are inspired this week by all the projects! I love sewing so this has been really fun working with all the fabrics.
For more inspiration visit Sande Krieger's blog tomorrow. She made some really cute things I think you are going to love...I hope one of them doesn't fly away before you get there (hint, hint).
Tuesday, May 14th - Tammy Tutterow
Wednesday, May 15th - Richele Christensen
Thursday, May 16th - Chelle Fowler
Friday, May 17th - me!
By the time you read this post I will be in Portland at Quilt Market with Tim and Mario...looking forward to a great weekend!
oh, and ps...there are more projects coming next week...and a tutorial or two, just saying.