I am working on a kit for the fall using Dylusions Mixed Media 12" Journaling Tags. I needed the lower half of each tag, which left me with about 1 million "tops" (of course I saved every single one "just in case I need it"). I kept walking by the pile in my craft room and I couldn't take it anymore, I had to make something with them. My idea was to create a little book, so that is todays tutorial: building the book. Because if you can make one this size, you can make ten more other sizes...really limitless.
I gathered 6 tag tops (mine are cut 3 3/4" wide) and lightly sprayed each piece with Speckled Egg and Antique Linen Distress Stay Spray. I blotted after spraying to remove parts of the speckled finish (not a fan of speckles). I dried them with the Heat It Tool then repeated on the other side.
I chose this large stamp from the Lady Rose set and added it to a Grid Block.
I sprayed three colors of Distress Stain onto the Glass Media Mat - Shabby Shutters, Scattered Straw and Speckled Egg. Then pressed the stamp right into the stain.
Once one side was dry, I turned the cards over and stamped the other side.
I wanted to add another stamped image - a polka dot. This time only Speckled Egg Spray Stain was used and no Grid block (again, test on scrap piece of paper first).
Randomly stamp all the cards (front and back) with the polka dots.
So that is how I built the book. Super easy to do if you have a sewing machine handy. Like I said at the beginning, you can make any size or shape of book to suit your needs.
As I move on to the inside of the book. You will find that anything goes, vintage paper mixed with idea-ology Found Relatives and Photobooth. The one constant is flowers. Some have been trimmed and some chopped up to create a new idea. Flower crowns are fussy-cut individual flowers made to look like they belong together. I will try and note bits of information throughout, but since I chose a very limited amount of materials to work with, it's not hard to figure out what I did. I find this freeing (limiting my choices) because it forces me to work with what is "at arms reach" as my friend Deb Crouse taught me way back in our 7gypsies days. I love a good challenge!
This is what I used on the inside
4 Found Relatives (cut out)
Field Notes Ephemera pack
paper from a vintage Reader book
Tiny Toadstools stamp set - text stamp
Field Notes stamp set - small numbers
Archival Ink: Black Soot
6 pieces of ribbon
ps) if you know me, you already know all the images were colored with Distress Crayons.
I used Collage Medium to add dyed cheesecloth over the spine portion of the book.
Here are all the Found Relatives and flowers I used on each. You might notice the girl on the bottom left card. The hat on the lady was too good to pass up, so I added it to the girls head on the front cover.
Detail shots of each collage