I was wondering through Target about a week ago and spotted this wood Advent calendar in the Dollar Spot (for $5 of course). I loved the wood tags with the big numbers so I decided to grab it and see what I could do to transform it into my vintage style.
Our Christmas Backdrops paper has a brick wall image that will be perfect for the chimney. I used my Tonic Precision Trimmer to cut the paper. I love how smooth it is and the fact that the "arm" has a spring-lift, so it is always at the ready to accept the paper. No more flipping the arm up and down like my old trimmer.
You might notice that I also painted the eaves black and added paper to the roof line. Painting it black helped to disguise any bad cuts along that diagonal edge.
Here it is with all the paper filled in. As you can see, any configuration will work! I added a layer of Collage Medium over the paper to seal.
NOTE: If I was using another substrate, I would have drilled the holes, added the paper and then added each hook. That would be easier than navigating the hooks.
Once the Collage Medium was dry, then add Distress Crayon over the seams to give the paper more depth.
The connection point will not show too much in the end.
Now carry on...
I decided I wanted a solid background behind the Festive Marquee so I painted another piece of trim (this is the narrower version of the scallop I used earlier) and added it right above the previous trim.
I decided on the green but both worked really well with the patterned paper. I used Collage Medium to add the Festive Marquee, leaving it to dry for about an hour while I cleaned up my work table.
The package came with these wood tags. Just for reference, they are about 2 1/8 x 5" long.
I decided to stamp on the wood, but was unsure if the ink would bleed, since some wood is very porous (especially cheap wood). I knew I could seal the wood with Collage Medium to counteract any bleeding, but this would force me to use StazOn Ink over the sealed surface. Not a problem at all, as I have StazOn in my stash for stamping on transparencies.
The polka dots look so good!
The last thing I did was to add Grit Paste Snowfall to the Adornments and Festive Marquee. Super easy to just wipe it on with your fingertip, then just leave to dry.
On a side note...if you wanted to make your own numbered tags, I would suggest the CMS161 Numeric stamp set for the numbers. The numbers on that set measure 3 1/4" tall. Taller than the Target numbers, but they would still fit on a wood tag of this size.
And...after a quick search on Amazon, I can see there are lots of wood tags available. Here is a link to one that is the same size as the Target tags (2 1/8 x 5"). I am sure there are plenty of the tags to choose from in the size you would need depending on your substrate. I would also venture to bet that your local craft store might have some too!